Tree Hazard Checklist
Here are some guide lines to help you know when it is time to call a specialist.
- Are there large dead branches in the tree?
- Are there detached branches hanging in the tree?
- Does the tree have cavities or rotten wood along the trunk or in major branches?
- Are mushrooms present at the base of the tree?
- Are there cracks or splits in the trunk or where branches are attached?
- Have any branches fallen from the tree?
- Have adjacent trees fallen near or on top of the tree?
- Has the trunk developed a strong lean?
- Do many of the major branches arise from one point on the trunk?
- Have the roots been broken off, injured or damaged by lowering the soil level, installing pavement, repairing sidewalks or digging trenches?
- Have the leaves prematurely developed an unusual color or size?
- Have the trees in adjacent wooded areas been removed?
- Has the tree been topped or otherwise heavily pruned?